FedEx Express will begin operating a new flight linking TNT’s European air hub in Liège to the FedEx World Hub in Memphis, beginning in early April 2017.
From Memphis the aircraft will continue on a round-the-world flight to Shanghai via Seattle and Anchorage before returning to Liège.
This is an important step in connecting the FedEx Express and TNT worldwide networks, which will give TNT customers around the globe direct access to the robust portfolio of FedEx services in the U.S. and Canada.
“This new flight by FedEx Express is a tangible example of the customer benefits that the acquisition of TNT will bring,” said David Cunningham, President and CEO of FedEx Express. “By combining our strengths, particularly the FedEx Express air network and TNT’s strong European road capabilities and Liège hub, we will connect even more people and possibilities.”
FedEx Express will use Boeing 777 Freighters offering 116 tons of capacity for the Liège-Memphis service. Once in Memphis, the TNT volumes will be injected into the FedEx network for delivery across the U.S. and Canada.
With this new flight, TNT customers shipping to North America will benefit from broader service coverage, faster transit times and higher weight capabilities, while continuing to work with TNT as they do today. Other improvements include:
- Consistent two day transit times for express shipments from Europe to U.S. and Canada destinations, compared with two to four days previously
- Three day transit times to U.S. and Canada destinations for express shipments from key locations in the Middle-East, Africa and India
- Optional pre-noon delivery of express parcels
- Four-five day transit times for deferred shipments
- Higher weight limits for express and deferred shipments of parcels and freight
- More opportunities for customers in the U.S. Pacific Northwest market, including reduced cost and increased capacity, with a one day transit time reduction for Shanghai perishable goods
David Binks, Regional President Europe, FedEx Express Europe, and CEO of TNT added:
“North America, and the U.S. in particular, is Europe’s major trading partner. The introduction of a direct FedEx Express flight from Liège to Memphis is excellent news for TNT customers shipping to North America. It also reinforces the role of the TNT hub in Liège as a significant operation for the group, complementing the FedEx Express hubs at Paris Charles-de-Gaulle and Cologne airports.”